The eXTra finGer

...''He was counting on his fingers.One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven.Eleven?Had he been born with an extra finger?''...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Italy

...& visit my web sites: Claudio Parentela's Official Site ''Claudio Parentela:Contemporary Art with a Freakish Taste!'' Lights&Shadows Disturbing Black Inks http://www.myspace.com/claudioparentela

Google

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Interview with Wang Qingsong

q)Let’s start with the basics; what's your full name, where do you live, and how old are you?

a) My full name is WANG Qingsong. I live in Beijing and I am 41 years old.

q) Do you have any formal training?

a) Before going to college, I went to a training school for educating kids to learn basics of painting. Then I got only two-year professional training at the Department of Oil Painting in Sichuan Academy of Fine Arts..

q) Did the place you grew up in influence your image making?

a) Yes, a lot. I grew up in a small town but very ancient one. This town has a very long history and tradition where the Three Kingdoms was famous for. When I moved in Beijing in 1993, I found my hometown so small and backward. However, Beijing is too big that endures a dramatic rapid change of modernization. I cannot get used to the drastic comparison between my city Jinzhou and Beijing. Hence so many of my works are symbolic of memories of my childhood and the urbanization I experience during the last several decades in China..

q) How do you come up with your concepts?

a) My ideas all come from life. I call my art works photo-journalism. They are inspired from the realities that I witness in this country with rapid social and mental changes. Most often I like to wander on the street, looking at the people and places. Gradually I will be triggered by some interesting ideas and later I will summarize these happenings into my photo works.

q) Describe your creations in a clear, concise and understandable sentence. What do you call them?

a) My creations are inspired by life, but not simply records of life. They are sum-ups from the varieties of life. I call them photo-journalism.




q)What other mediums would you like to explore in your image making?

a) I am thinking right now to explore installations. Maybe later I will make short films.

q)What is the best time in the day for you to work on a project? Is there one, or is it more about the environment -- maybe the right mood?

a) At night when my mind thinks fast because all other things keep quiet then. I think both environment and mood contribute to good thinking.

q) What are your artistic influences?...and …generally who or what influences you the most?

a) I think the influence comes from my life. My life experiences influence me the most.

q) Who are some of your favourite artists/designers/photographers?

a) Artists are Thomas Demand, but I have a problem in remembering foreign names. Basically I like very thoughtful and humorous art works.



q) What is your next project?Exhibition?Collaboration?

a) My next public project involves public participation on a theatre in England. I am now making some works which are related to the sports theme. So these works will go to be shown in museums that exhibit art pieces related to sports. I seldom work with others. Most of the time, I do art works independently. During shooting, I invite artist friends to help out.

q)What are your plans for the future?

a) My plans for the future are varied, first, I want to finish some installation pieces. Then I will be happy to finish my own script and make it into a movie. Then ….

q)Are there some web sites that You would like to recommend? Artists, art communities, xxx,...!?

a) websites are artnet.com, art-forum.com



q)What sort of music do you listen to?

a) I don’t listen to specific music. I am acceptable to any sort of music.

q)Do you collect anything? If so what?

a) I collect porcelain, books, and art works as well. Many of the pieces are friends’ art works. Now I like to buy sometimes very interesting photographs by international artists.

q)What do you do for fun?

a) I like to play cards, chat with others and just sleep simply.



q) Any advice you can pass onto aspiring artists/designers?
a) Be yourself! Be nice to everyone!

q)Your contacts…

a)Mailing address: PO. Box 100006-10, Beijing, China. Tel: 0086-10-51273205, mobile: 0086-13601133831. Fax: 0086-10-51273206.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home