The eXTra finGer

...''He was counting on his fingers.One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven.Eleven?Had he been born with an extra finger?''...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Italy

...& visit my web sites: Claudio Parentela's Official Site ''Claudio Parentela:Contemporary Art with a Freakish Taste!'' Lights&Shadows Disturbing Black Inks http://www.myspace.com/claudioparentela

Google

Monday, August 14, 2006

Interview with Aaron Board

1)So, can you tell me a little about yourself? Full name, age,some backround info, etc?
1)Aaron Christopher Board, née Aaron Cletus Board. Changed by my motherwhen I was a small child to subvert beatings in grade-school. It'smy Grandfather's name and I intend to legally change it back someday. Cletus is a Greek name but in America it's Hillbilly - I thinkthere was a character from The Dukes of Hazard TV Show named Cletus. Born, 1971 in Pontiac, Michigan, USA

2)How did you get started making art?
2)By being born I guess - can't remember a time in my life when Ididn't make art obessively.

3)How would you describe your art?
3)Obnoxious figurative art with a lack of spatial comprehension."Realist" is not the first thing that would come out of my mouththese days, although several years ago it would have been one of thefirst words that I reached for. That association has caused greatconfusion and many failed attempts at gallery repesenation around theUS.



4)Where do you get the inspiration for your art?
4)This probably sounds trite, but humanity (or lack thereof) is thebiggest. Music and Literature are common inspirations, but in yearsof late horticulture provides a plethora of intriguing metaphors thatI've been weaving into my art. The Manchineel, Jequirity andStrangler Fig are a few specimens that are fueling current/futureprojects. Look them up - especially the Manchineel - you'll beintrigued. All of these are either native or naturalized species inthe area of Florida where I live.

5)What are you working on now?
5)I'm juggling a few projects. But to loosely quote Charles Bukowski -"giving away the details of your next work is like letting the air ofyour tires before a long trip." I can say that I'm a few weeks awayfrom putting a new section on my website titled "New Directions" toshowcase some newer experimental (for me) work.

6)Are there some web sites that you would like to recomend?Artists, art communities,xxx,...!?
6)Truthfully, if someone is reading this blog then they are already onestep ahead of me at finding good art-viewing venues on-line.

7) What programs / materials / tools do you use to create yourpieces?
7)Nothing too crazy. I make "sketches" on Adobe Photoshop. I designbuild and finish all of the frames on my framed pieces. I conceiveof the frames as an integral and permanent element of the paintingwhen I do use frames. Otherwise, pretty much just paint on canvas.



8) What advice would you give to younger up and coming artist?
8)You mean advice to myself? Seriously though, perserverence andtenacity are crucial. Oh, and whenever someone gives you a negativereview, just tell yourself, "They just don't get it 'cause truegenius is never understood during its time." (I think that I stolethat quote from Camille Paglia)

9) What is your personal definition of life and art and everything else in between?
9)I'll answer as I interpret the question: Life should fuel art - artshould not fuel art. I was never very good at doing art receptionsand parties with artists and the like when I lived in NYC, or evennow for that matter. Living the "artist's life' is such a lousycliche that I did not really want to get sucked into - I thought Idid, but as I grew older I grew wiser.

10) Do you think that art is a univeral language - transcendingall the different languages, cultures and religions etc?
10)It can be, but too many artists use such idiosyncratic, esoteric andalienating concepts that I think universal art is few and farbetween. Don't get me wrong, I'm guilty of this also.

11) What are your artistic influences?
11)In no particular order: Jan van Eyck, Odd Nerdrum, Rembrandt,Velazquez, Rubens, Frank Stella, Harvey Quaytman, Greg Bogin, JanSaudek, Eric Fischl, Vincent Desiderio, Steve Assael - these lastthree were mentors of mine at the NYAA.
1

2) How are the reactions on your work in general?
12)I've been very lucky - mostly positive. Never had any thing printedabout me that was bad, except for some kid that slammed me on Rate MyProfessor referring to me as a "Glorified Photocopier" - which is amisconcpetion about my compostions.

13) Do you have many connections in the underground scene?
13)Loosely, but none that I could state unequivocally.

14) Tell us about a recent dream you had.
14)Watermelon was growing in my bed under my wife. I physically got upin my sleep and tried to rescue my wife from the vine that wasgrowing at an exponential rate from beneath her, only to be woken upby her asking what the fuck I was doing.

15) What is freedom to you as an artist?
15)Completely forgetting all of the pseudo-intellectual dialog thattranspired during undergraduate school.



16) Are there any particular works you've done that stand out as your favorites?
16)Will Not Kill The Whippoorwill, From Blood to Bougainvillea, The IllAstrayter, J.C. Pose, and of course, the one I'm working on now. (Wemust all remember the Frank Lloyd Wright quote when he was asked whathis greatest work was - "My next one.")

17) Last Books you read?
17)McSweeney's Quarterly Concern, The Better of McSweeney's, Oblivion byDavid Foster Wallace

18) Last records you bought?

18)Tool - 10,000 Days, Built To Spill - You In Reverse, Superwolf, Iron& Wine with Clexico

19) Who are your favourite artists & Your favourite galleries?
19)My favorite artists change routinely, but a few names that come tomind right away are: John Currin, Lisa Yuskavage, Kojo Griffin, InkaEssenhigh, etc.Favorite Galleries? I'm gonna out myself here - I like the kind ofgalleries that you might find in Juxtapoze Magazine. But of course,my absolutely favorite is Greene Contemporary Art!

20)Your contacts..E-mail.Links
20)aaron@aaronboard.com
http://www.aaronboard.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home