The eXTra finGer

...''He was counting on his fingers.One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven.Eleven?Had he been born with an extra finger?''...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Italy

...& visit my web sites: Claudio Parentela's Official Site ''Claudio Parentela:Contemporary Art with a Freakish Taste!'' Lights&Shadows Disturbing Black Inks http://www.myspace.com/claudioparentela

Google

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Interview with Kim Scott

Q) So, can you tell me a little about yourself? Full name, age, some background info, etc.?

A)Kim Scott.-Didnt' your mother tell you not to ask a lady her age? Old enough to know better, young enough to still get into trouble.-I was born in Sacramento, California. My mother was an artist and my father an educator. I always loved making art, and got attention and praise from my parents for doing it. I realized you could make art for a living at the age of 19. This is when I started to call my self an artist, and study art in earnest. At this time I made a list of all the things that made me feel something strongly, color, certain artists work, periods of time in history, smells, animals, and so on. I used this as a starting point for my art, using the contents as subject and influence in my painting and sculpture. I have traveled whenever I could save up enough money to do so, going through the years to 22 countries, including living in India for about 2 years. India has been a huge influence in my work, the culture, the great philosophical dialogue that has gone on there for centuries and still does, the place itself. It was on a trip there that I started studying with the Dalai Lama, and having my mind blown by the hints of insight pointed to by Buddhist teachers. Vanity and impermanence has been an interest of mine for years. Buddhist practices pointed directly to these areas of study. At this time I decided I wanted to spend time doing something positive with my art, and started teaching art in the California State Prison System, and reaching out to other undeserved members of the population. I currently teach art at a program for adults with developmental disabilities. I learn a lot there.

Q) How did you get started making art?

A)My mom was an artist, and I was raised to think making it is normal and desirable. I loved it, and took to it from the start. My mom wouldn't let me have coloring books, she always said "make your own pictures and color them in" this way I learned to draw what I like.

Q) How would you describe your art?Where do you get the inspiration for your art?

A)While in art school I had an assignment to make a self portrait. I painted it, and never stopped making them. All my works are self portraits, a perfect subject to explore vanity with! At first they looked more or less like me, and bit by bit they started to look like other things, animals, insects, bones, monsters, angels...They are influenced by classical european painting, High Gothic, Surrealism,and more and more Baroque. But of course, they are from now, and have the stamp of the present time on them as well.

Q) What are you working on now?

A)I am working for a show in October at Toyroom Gallery called "...and Everything Nice" I am painting mostly meat ladies, portraits of women and animals made out of meat. I am also practicing on painting button tuft as backgrounds. I have been putting tomatoes in my work too, Sacramento grows GREAT tomatoes, they are a regional icon for me. I recently finished "Red Queen" and "Oral Tradition" I am a vegetarian, and this plays into the imagery as well.



Q)Are there some web sites that you would like to recommend? Artists, art communities, xxx,...!?

A)I am a member of an art Collective called "Art Dorks" There are a bunch of really great and nice artists in this group. Great painters. We all just came together over the span of about a year on the internet. The site that started it all was created by the artist Brendan Danielsson while trying to reach out and interact with more artists. (http://www.artdorks.com) Robert Hardgrave, Travis A. Louie, Gregory Jacobsen, Chris Ryniak , David Chung, Heiko Muller...and 14 other artists just as great as the other Art Dork collective members. You have to go see all their work! Really impressive. The other members of the Art Dorks community have been so much fun to get to know.I think the Surreal and Visionary Art forum is loaded with interesting artists (http://www.surrealartforum.com/artlinks.htm)
My friend Elisa Terranova is always an inspiration(http://www.elisat.com)
My links page has these and others listed(http://feedyoureye.com/links.html)
-I also just love to surf, and find all kinds of crazy, kinky, mysterious and informative stuff.
-I have met many cool artists on Myspace, see my "friends" here:http://myspace.com/feedyoureye
I just got posted on glubibulga, Hello Italy!http://www.slap-press.com

Q) What's your favorite medium to work in, and why?

A)I switch around, have done oil, gouache and encaustic painting, mixed media sculpture and digital animation. Right now Im mostly working in oil, always something new to learn there.



Q) What advice would you give to younger up and coming artist?

A)Just follow what you love, what moves you, makes you grow, makes you feel. Don't think you can find all the answers going fast, some things can only be learned slowly. Look for the gold in the shit. That's where others have feared to search. And there's good news from a middle aged lady, you can still learn and kick ass at any age. Practice makes better. Painting is an 'old mans game'. You can do it and enjoy it for life. Cool huh!?

Q) What is your personal definition of life and art and everything else in between?

A)Things do not exist as they appear. Art is a fancy that points at experience and illusion, and when done well, can transport the viewer for a moment into another world.

Q) What are your artistic influences?

A)History, art, life.. so much more

Q) How are the reactions on your work in general?

A)Mostly good, It runs from "You are my favorite artist" to "Why can't you paint something nice!" I have been lucky to get mostly good press, and am invited to be in plenty of shows. Always looking for more!

Q) What are you doing when you are not creating art?

A)Cooking, watching TV, gardening, reading, going to art shows, traveling....

Q) Tell us about a recent dream you had.

A)I am currently building a house and studio. My husband and I have been building it for 15 months, and are almost done. Last night I was dreaming that our contact at the housing developers office was frosting warm chocolate donuts. Hum....what does that mean?

Q) What is freedom to you as an artist?

A)Painting what I like, and having the time to do it. Having the money to buy supplies, and being inspired to work.



Q) Are there any particular works you've done that stand out as your favorites?

A)There are always one or two in every series of 15 or so...I really like the "Red Queen" and am excited about all the crazy little meat paintings Im doing now.

Q) Last Books you read?

A)-"The Secret Lives of Dogs" by Jana Murphyand several art book, I guess those are looking at the visual language more than the written language...
-"Dreamland" by Todd Schorr http://www.toddschorr.com/News/dreamland2004.html

Q) Last records you bought?

A)I like Indian and Islamic music, My husband puts together mixes for me.

Q) Who are your favorite artists & Your favorite galleries?


A)Gotta like the toyroom Gallery in Sacramento (owned by my husband Craig and his partner John) (http://www.toyroomgallery.com)Thinkspace in LA is doing some really great things right now.http://www.thinkspacegallery.com/There are so many great galleries right now, LA is busting out with galleries. Check out my links to see my list of favs right now http://feedyoureye.com/links.html

Q) Which do you think make good art good? originality, or style? And, why?

A)I’m not sure anything is completely original, but I do think that you need to have your technique and idea in balance. If you have strong technique, you need a strong idea or your work slides into craft or commercial illustration, to much idea and not enough technique, and the message become hard to understand.



Q)Your contacts..E-mail.Links

A)Kim Scott
http://feedyoureye.com
http://artdorks.com
http://www.surrealestates.org
http://myspace.com/feedyoureye
feedyoureye@hotmail.com

Kim Scott
http://www.feedyoureye.com
http://www.artdorks.com

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Claudio!

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home