The eXTra finGer

...''He was counting on his fingers.One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven.Eleven?Had he been born with an extra finger?''...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Italy

...& visit my web sites: Claudio Parentela's Official Site ''Claudio Parentela:Contemporary Art with a Freakish Taste!'' Lights&Shadows Disturbing Black Inks http://www.myspace.com/claudioparentela

Google

Monday, September 04, 2006

Interview with Vlado Ketch


Q)So, can you tell me a little about yourself? Full name, age, some background info, etc?

A)Vlado Ketch, 43 yers old, exhibiting for about 23 yers now

Q)How did you get started making art?

A)As a child I was always drawing pictures… it was the only thing I ever wanted to do, however, it was not until around the age of 9 when I saw a documentary on PBS of Picasso that I discovered how I could be an artist as an adult. That documentary showed me I had a future as an adult.

Q)How would you describe your art?

A)Brutal beauty:
Fictional structures which represent more than their physical intent.
My work is closer to the drawings of sculptors, for I see my images as drawings for sculptures which may never be built. Ultimately they are effigies / weapons or more so, the remains of humanity's achievements, desires and horrific outcomes.
Remnants of past, present and future histories.
The battle and metamorphosis between man and technology and history.
Made on unstretched, worn or wrinkled tarpaulin, they are presented not so much as paintings but as banners, standards or shields; to be carried into battle or posted as warning signs of things that have been and could be again.



Q)Where do you get the inspiration for your art?

A)My inspiration comes from the slow disintegration of American society, history, future weapons, war, man’s inhumanity to man, body augmentation, and science/technology replacing religion.

Q)What are you working on now?

A)I am working on a body of work for a solo show in December in Indiana.
I would like to exhibit my work in Italy and Germany, that’s a goal I have.

Q)Are there some web sites that you would like to recommend? Artists, art communities, xxx,...!?

A)I am not aware of many artist websites, however, artnet is probably one of the most important ones..also I think Flash art magazine is very good. I would stay away from the American ones, like Art in America and Art News..they are all too political, financially obsessed and not really about showcasing new interesting work.



Q)What programs / materials / tools do you use to create your pieces?

A)My work is mixed media in nature. Acrylic, collage, glues, gels on Tarpaulin. I use a computer to create the majority of heads for my figures, all manipulated in photoshop, printed out, then manipulated again..I use medical illustrations for limbs from time to time, which are also manipulated/mutated.

Q)What advice would you give to younger up and coming artist?

A)Have a vision and stick with it. Do not let history dictate how you do something, but use it as a stepping stone for change.

Q)What is your personal definition of life and art and everything else in between?

A)I believe like the Europeans, that Art and Life are one, which is not the feeling/belief here in the States. Consumerism and entertainment are the new gods in the US. I believe that there is not a lot more important than creativity and communication through creativity.

Q) Do you think that art is a universal language - transcending all the different languages, cultures and religions etc?

A)Yes I do. It is forever linked and imbedded in the human condition.

Q)What are your artistic influences?

A)I do not look at a lot of painting or 2 dimensional art anymore for influences, however, as an art form, sculpture is very important to me.



Q)How are the reactions on your work in general?

A)I do not make very commercial work, nor is what I do trendy. I have always been an outsider as my work is concerned…In the US people think my work is scary, which I think is rather silly, as there are a lot more scarier things around us on a daily basis. The war in Iraq, road rage, random killing. These things are scarier to me.

Q)Do you have many connections in the underground scene?

A)No, but I would like to. Perhaps I am a bit too underground for the underground scene!

Q)Tell us about a recent dream you had.

A)I usually have dreams of being chased inside large factory buildings, within corridors, elevators, and stairwells.

Q)What is freedom to you as an artist?

A)I think the arts are all about freedom. There are no rules in art, only opinions, and opinions are like assholes, everybody’s got one. So if that’s the case, then there is no right or wrong in art, and that equals total freedom.

Q)Are there any particular works you've done that stand out as your favourites?

A)My painting “tyrants can be re-built” is a favourite because it is very timely. “Sloba Beast” is another because of the same topic, dictators, power mongers, leaders, etc.



Q)Last Books you read?

A)“Off The Wall, a Portrait of Robert Rauschenberg” by Calvin Tomkins,
“Digital Dreams, architecture and the new alchemic technologies” by Neil Spiller,
“Energy Plan for the Western Man, Joseph Beuys in America” compiled by Carin Kuoni,
and “Interrogation machine, Laibach and NSK” by Alexei Monroe.

Q)Last records you bought?

A)Merzbow –“venereology”, DHC Meinhof -“Bring Chaos to Order”, Nunwhore Commando666 – “Home Sweet Home”, Wolf Eyes – “Burned Mind”, and Nic Endo – “White Heat”.

Q)Who are your favourite artists & Your favourite galleries?

A)My favourite artist is Magdalena Abakanowicz. I do not have a favourite gallery.

Q)Your contacts….E-mail…Links

A)Vlado Ketch
Email: Vloda@hotmail.com
URL: http://Vloda.com








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home