1)So, can you tell me a little about yourself?Full name, age, some background info, etc?
1)Ella Guru as known since about 1987. born Ohio,lived in London since 1990.
2)How did you get started making art?
2)Everyone does as kids right? I just didn't stop.
3)How would you describe your art?
3)Figurative paintings with wigs, masks and costumesof sorts, portraits of people and animals.
4)Where do you get the inspiration for your art?
4)Drag queens and pretty ladies
5)What are you working on now?
5)A Cuban woman, in honour of Fidel's recent surgery .
6)Are there some web sites that you would like to recomend? Artists, art communities,xxx,...!?
6) www.stuckism.com, if you can get past Charles Thomson's personal vendettas there is some art worth seeing there. Note new show in October in Spectrum Gallery, West End, London
7) What programs / materials / tools do youuse to create your pieces?
7)Canvas, paint, brushes. (ok sometimes digital camera and photoshop first, but also work from life)
8) What advice would you give to younger up and coming artist?
9) What is your personal definition of life and art and everything else in between?
10) Do you think that art is a universal language - transcending all the different languages, cultures and religions etc?
10)It can be, if people understand it. I think pictures come close to that. Dead sharks don't. Any art that needs a placard to explain it is certainly not transcending anything.
11) What are your artistic influences?
11)Lucien Freud, Frida Kahlo, Warhol, Caravaggio, CindySherman, Francis Bacon, Paul Harvey, Sexton Ming, drag queens, Quentin Crisp, ducks, pelicans, geese, female wrestlers, Divine, vodka, absinthe, cigars and may be more but can't think right now.
12) How are the reactions on your work in general?
12)From ordinary people mostly good. Art critics, crap.
13) Do you have many connections in the underground scene?
14) What is freedom to you as an artist?
14)Just being able to paint.
15) Are there any particular works you've done that stand out as your favorites?
15)Sexton ming in face pack, tiger lillies paintings,baby Lucy portrait of course. I guess I like a lot of them, that's vain to say I know, but I have to look at them every day
16) Last Books you read?
16)'We need to talk about Kevin' - depressing and nilhisitc . 'memoirs of a geishsa' - good trash
17) Last records you bought?
17)Can't remember buying a record in the last 20 years.Sexton does the CD buying .
18) Who are your favourite artists & Your favourite galleries?
18)Artists see question 11. Galleries - national portrait gallery. Tate modern only for the nappy changing facilities, and the turbine hall which is good for kids to run around in.