The eXTra finGer

...''He was counting on his fingers.One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven.Eleven?Had he been born with an extra finger?''...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Italy

...& visit my web sites: Claudio Parentela's Official Site ''Claudio Parentela:Contemporary Art with a Freakish Taste!'' Lights&Shadows Disturbing Black Inks http://www.myspace.com/claudioparentela

Google

Monday, February 19, 2007

Interview with Ursula Sokolowska

q) Introduce yourself first please?

a)Hello. I’m Ursula Sokolowska

q) Where do you live and work?

a)Chicago, Illinois




q) How did you started? How have you realized you wanted to become an artist?

a)I was always very interested in the visual. My first memory of creating is when I was 3 or 4 and in my Great Aunt’s kitchen in Poland. I took a bottle of dishsoap and started making large spiral shapes on the kitchen floor. I loved it, but was later yelled at.

q) What's your favorite medium to work in, and why?

a)My end result is usually captured onto film, thus presented as a photograph. However, first I like to construct things, basically setup installations, then photograph them. Using photography, I can have the viewer focus on a specific part of the installation, in a way the viewer is confronted.

q) Do you draw influences from a wide range of artists, musicians, books…?

a)Books based on psychology, architecture, various magazines. I feel everything influences me.

q) Do you rule by any tendency in your creative work, or you only follow what comes in your mind?

a)I like to work with projections in different ways, but I always let the initial idea follow it’s own path.

q) What haven’t you done yet that you definitely want to try someday?

a)Living in a place that is not as cold as Chicago.

q) Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)Recently, I’ve been focused on photographers from the 60’s / 70’s. I’m having a black and white moment; it will pass.

q) How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)With the right location and equipment / installation setup I can be done in a couple hours. Sometimes I do revisit situations and then a photo shoot can turn into days if not months (interrupted by working for a paycheck, of course).



q) What music, if any, do you like to have on while you're working?

a)None. When I’m working, I can’t focus on anything else. When I do listen to music I like to be devoted to the music.

q) Do you do many art shows?

a)I have done many, but each year I prefer to only do a couple. I like to focus on creating new work.

q) Favorite clothing setup?

a)Boots by Camper, jeans by Taverniti or Yanuk, and I like a well fitted jacket. Basically, clothing that I can work in.

q) What are you doing when you are not creating?

a)In one way or another I’m always creating.



q) Do you get emotionally attached to your work and do you miss your work when it is sold?

a)I may get attached to some of the items I use in my photographs (child mannequins, their clothing), but not the image itself. The image will always exist.

q) What new projects or exhibits are in your future?

a)I am continuing my work with child mannequins, which references my childhood and relationship with my mother. I will be exhibiting in NY this year, (details are still being discussed). 2008 will start with my first museum group exhibit, the American Surrealist Exhibition, at the Saginaw Art Museum.

q) Describe your work space.

a)I don’t really have one. I work where I can. My photographs make use of spaces that I find, such as basements, streets outside, the school where I work, etc. I’m somewhat of a travelling gypsy. One day, I’ll have a studio…



q) What kind of projects/shows have you been involved in?

a)I just had my 2nd solo show in Chicago (Dec 1 - 31 2006) at Schneider gallery.

q)your contacts….e-mail…links

a)
usokol@saic.edu
www.ursula-sokolowska.com



3 Comments:

Blogger Hans said...

Thank you Claudio for showing this artist. I posted a short post here:
http://newimages.blogspot.com/
Best regards, Hans

9:44 AM  
Blogger Claudio Parentela said...

Hello dearest...Thanx a lot to you for your words!
ciao=hello&abracos&keep in touch
Claudio Parentela
www.claudioparentela.net
claudioparentela@gmail.com

2:55 PM  
Blogger Indigo Serpent said...

Claudio, thanks again for sharing thise artist with us.

Awesome!!!

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home