The eXTra finGer

...''He was counting on his fingers.One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven.Eleven?Had he been born with an extra finger?''...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Italy

...& visit my web sites: Claudio Parentela's Official Site ''Claudio Parentela:Contemporary Art with a Freakish Taste!'' Lights&Shadows Disturbing Black Inks http://www.myspace.com/claudioparentela

Google

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Interview with Lisa MoneypennyMurray

q) So, Tell me a little about yourself? Full name, age, some background info?

a)I'm Lisa MoneypennyMurray, soon to be ...Lisa Moneypenny, I'm as old as my teeth, and I live/paint on my pirate boat anchored off the coast of sunny southern California, and teach kids how to paint and draw.

q) How did you get started making art?

a)I studied fashion make-up at Complexions in London, then I worked as a special effects make-up artist with The Actors Gang in Los Angeles. I went back to college to take painting and sculpture classes to enhance my make-up career. While at collage, I realized I really enjoyed painting, and drawing. I decided to end my make-up career and focus on fine art. I eventually received my MFA in painting from the University of New Mexico.

q) How would you describe your art?

a)Retro Style Imagery with a Black Ink Twist. I use vintage illustrations of boys and girls from a variety of books,and magazines, and add a bit of personality to them. With pen and ink I draw crazy platforms, enticing stilettos, and classic tattoos. They become transformed into Twisted Kids.

q) Where do you get the inspiration for your art?

a)I'm inspired by all the colorful characters here in La La Land, dirty thrift stores, and the bizarre shoe stores on Hollywood Blvd.

q) What are you working on now?

a)I'm drawing black ink silhouettes of kids with outrages platforms, and high heeled stilettos on beautifully worn vintage school paper such as report cards, and library check-out cards.

q) Are there some websites that you'd like to recommend?

a) www.thinkspacegallery.com, and www.juxtapoz.com. Both sites post monthly art openings in the Los Angeles area and showcase some great artists.

q) What is your favourite medium to work in?

a)I love the rough texture and faded colors of vintage paper combined with the stark contrast of smooth black ink.
q) What advice would you give to younger up and coming artists?
a)Take the time to experience and appreciate all types of art forms including performance, fashion, music, dance, poetry, and architecture.

q) Take us inside your process a little bit, How do you begin a piece? What inspires the concept?

a)First, I go shopping, and people watching on Hollywood Blvd. I wonder what all these interesting people might have been like as a kid. Then I spend a lot of my time seeking out, and collecting vintage paper, magazines, and books with inspiring illustrations.When I find the paper, the surface of the paper dictates which image I'll draw upon it.

q) What are your artistic influences?

a)My early influences were from the Punk Rock culture of the late 70's and early 80's. That was when I started to see people expressing themselves in a way that I could relate to.One unexpected day in 1980, I went to a loft party in the arts district of downtown Los Angeles. I walked in to find a creative energy unlike anything I'd ever experienced. Folks were playing experimental music, designing and sewing costumes, building and painting stage props, performing puppet shows, and dancing the night away in vintage platforms. It was reminiscent of Andy Warhol's factory. That night was when I knew I wanted to be an artist.

q) How are the reactions to your work in general?

a)In general, most people can see themselves in one of my Twisted Kids.

q) What are you doing when you're not creating art?

a)I'm soaking up the senses, looking, listening, smelling, tasting, and touching art in form or another.

q) What are some of the challenges that you think artists face today?

a)With the internet, and all the images that can be seen now with a click, it could be a challenge for artists' to keep their unique individuality.

q) What is freedom to you as an artist?

a)That I'm able to express my observations, and feelings in a way that touches people.

q) Are there any particular works you've done that stand out as you're favorite?
a)My favorite Twisted Kid drawing is "Talkative", she reminds me of myself in sixth grade. I got in trouble a lot for talking. At that time, spanking was a form of discipline in schools. My father told the teacher that he could spank me if I continued to talk, and disrupt the class... Ouch!
q) Who are your favorite artists, and your favorite galleries?
a)A few of my favorite artists at the moment are.Tara McPherson, Camille Rose Garcia, and Lesley Reppeteaux. My favorite galleries in In Los Angeles are. La Luz de Jesus Gallery, Corey Helford Gallery,CoproNason Gallery,and Cannibal Flower.

q) What do you think makes good art? originality, or style?

a)Good art is a unique balance of both originality, style, and skill.

q) Do you get emotionally attached to your work, and do you miss your work when it is sold?
a)I become emotionally attached after it's sold. I often call the owners of my work to see how the drawing is doing, and how the piece has enhanced their lives.

q)Your contacts..e-mail.links.

Lisa Murray

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that I really love this site. Please keep the artist interviews coming they really keep me inspired and help me to keep pursuing my dream to make art for a living. I love to hear about all the different ways the artist stay inspired and how they got started. Thank you for what you are doing.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home