The eXTra finGer

...''He was counting on his fingers.One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven.Eleven?Had he been born with an extra finger?''...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Italy

...& visit my web sites: Claudio Parentela's Official Site ''Claudio Parentela:Contemporary Art with a Freakish Taste!'' Lights&Shadows Disturbing Black Inks http://www.myspace.com/claudioparentela

Google

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Interview with Duston Spear

q) Introduce yourself first please?

a)My name is Duston Spear.

q) Where do you live and work?

a) Bedford, New York. It's a little town 45 miles north of New York City. I work in a barn that faces 5000 acres of protected land.

q) How did you started? How have you realized you wanted to become an artist?

a)I grew up in Virginia- my grandmother painted scenes from the Civil War and told me wonderful stories about confederate soldiers, they seemed to populate all of my fantasies.

q) What materials do you use and why?

a)I use oil on canvas now- very traditional. I'm even using rabbit skin glue - how retro. I used tar or road pavement on my Crane Series-sometimes the tar still comes into play- I love the way it fouls the paint and never really dries.

q) Who is your biggest influence, both art and non-art related.

a)Nancy Spero and Leon Golub for their work, their marriage, their parenting and their complete dedication to socially engaged art.

q) How do you dream up with your wacky ideas? What is your creation process?

a)Oh, it's horrible- months of painting horrible things - talking myself into believing their decent- inviting tired friends to look at them and then hitting everything again with a fresh coat of paint in a totally manic frenzy.

q) What haven't you done yet that you definitely want to try someday?

a)Driven a moped in the center of Rome- galloped on a beach full out.

q) Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)Yes, but I can't name them all, I'll hurt someones feelings.

q) How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)I'm on a painting about a year- but that's lots of layers and fights and false starts- or the rare, done in two hours syndrome- hate that.

q) What music, if any, do you like to have on while you're working?

a)Anything I can drum to -- and I'm a lousy, but very loud drummer.

q) Do you do many art shows?

a)'Do'? as in visit, or show in? Not many would be my answer to both.
q) Tell us about a recent dream you had.
a)I am in a parade and my instrument is a telephone with a cord, I keep looking for outlets all through the parade route.

q) What are you doing when you are not creating?

a)Riding my neighbor's horse- he's five, I've been with him for two years- he's a teenage boy but - you know...

q) Do you get emotionally attached to your work and do you miss your work when it is sold?

a)I get emotionally attached to the next one- I'm happy to have the ones I've done be sold,

q) What new projects or exhibits are in your future?

a)I'm working on a collaboration with a dance troupe - doing the costumes...starting a new series of romantic paintings, couple ofgroup things. My solo show is up now- I'd like to do some more curating - something that is all about thick paint.

q) What is your favourite art related web site?

a)Today it's yours.

q) What is the strangest thing you have ever seen?

a)A child come out of me.

q) What is the strangest thing you have ever done?

a)Decided to grow children.

q) any advice you can pass on to aspiring artists/designers?

a)Do everything, be generous, it comes back at you,

q)your contacts..e-mail.links

a)My gallery:Saratecchia.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home