The eXTra finGer

...''He was counting on his fingers.One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven.Eleven?Had he been born with an extra finger?''...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Italy

...& visit my web sites: Claudio Parentela's Official Site ''Claudio Parentela:Contemporary Art with a Freakish Taste!'' Lights&Shadows Disturbing Black Inks http://www.myspace.com/claudioparentela

Google

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Interview with Sebastian Holmer


1)First of all,..can you present yourself..?

First of all let me thank you for the interview invitation. My name is Sebastian Holmer, I am 24 years old. I was born in Dachau/Germany and currently live, work and study in Munich/Germany at the Ludwig-Maximlians-University art history (main subject) and classical archaeology and theology (minor subjects). I am available for any freelance work (which does not mean that I work for free).

2)Do you think of yourself as an artist,or what?

Sometimes. Considering the difficult term artist, it’s a personal opinion anyway. Somehow I am an artist, because I use creativity to produce “stuff” – in my case, images. Whether my stuff is good or not is not my job to judge; it’s the one of the viewers. Some might like it, some don’t. On the other hand, I am just someone who has an artistic hobby. It’s not my job, I don’t earn my regular money with it – which makes me really happy to be honest. It’s more passion, sometimes pain. Considering the quality, I know – as I study “real art” most of the day, where the difference between my stuff and the classic art is. It’s ok, but nevertheless pretty hard sometimes, to realise my lack of imagination.

3)What is creativity?

I have no idea. Maybe it’s just one form of expressing yourself. In any way you can imagine. For me it’s mainly the way of solving problems, because it stretches the word “creativity”. Therefore, we should actually discuss the word “problem” (which wasn’t the question here, haha.)

4)Does your environment influence your art,either in style/format or interference?

Of course it does. My studies influence me, because they limit myself. While working on my images, I can see what does not make me an artist who will be remembered. I question myself way too often, doubt myself and my work. But then I get help and advices from people who more or less do the same as I do.

5)What are some of your influences and inspirations?

I could reply with the usual stuff like music, mood, dreams and women. But to be honest, it hardly is. Every now and then, some strange idea enters my head (I have no idea where they are coming from, nor why, and I don’t want to find it out). Then I usually sit down, in silence, and just start thinking about it, create stories, wonder how you could illustrate them, change details, sometimes change entire concepts. I usually need finished ideas in my head before I sit down to paint or to photograph. Of course while working stuff change again, because – as I am a very slow worker – I have a lot of time to rethink those ideas.

6)What’s your favourite mediums(pen,charcoal,paint,canvas,etc…)to work in/on?

Mainly it’s mixed media. Photography is one of the keys to create them, but recently I use painting (both digital and/or traditional). Same with collage techniques. In the end, it’s all digital stuff anyway, using Photoshop.

7)Who are some of your favourite painters/artists?

Dutch Art of the 16th and 17th century, mostly Rembrandt. Classical Modern Art, like Schwitters. Picasso sometimes. Of course Dave McKean. French Classicism, like David. Canova. I don’t know, I admire so many artists, some many works, of different times, of different styles.

8)How long does it normally take you to complete a piece of your artwork?

Usually I finish one image within a day. The actual work doesn’t take very long for me – and I don’t want it to last too long. Because then my doubts destroy the idea, I get tired of it and don’t want to finish it. The development of an idea last much longer, maybe a week. Or months. Or I just think about ideas, never work them out, because they are never finished. It’s a constant process of evolving and denying.

9)What else are you interested in besides visual arts?

Not much. Beer. Soccer. Ninon. (last in, first out).

10)Got any new projects planned?

Not that I know. I am working on a short movie with Dennis (
http://ww.damnengine.net). The rest might not be of any interest for the people – it’s more personal stuff I want to finish.

11)How would you describe your art to someone who could not see it?

I wouldn’t. I don’t like to describe my stuff. I’d ask someone else to do the job. I would see it different anyway.

12)What other talent would most like to have?

I’d wish I’d be healthy.

13)What are your most beloved items?

My camera and my books. The thing I love most is the ring on my left hand’s finger.

14)Favourite books?

Anything that has pictures in it. I have tons of them. Most favourite one maybe Dave McKean’s “Small book of black and white lies” (I own – for some wired reason – two copies of it.)

15)Do you remember the first draw you made?

No.

16)What kind of music do you like and do you listen…And is the music importan for your art…?

Hmmm. I am not stuck to any clichés, nor music styles. I like Metal, Hardcore, Rock. Emo sometimes. But also trip hop, fusion jazz, ambient shit, electronic stuff in general. Anything that makes me calm down. Or riot. Or move.

17)Any advice do you have for artists?

I am not in the position to help other people. I need help as well.
But when I think about it, this might be my advice: stop listening to artists. It’s not your universe anyway. Next to that they love to present them as a mysterious being, which they usually aren’t. They’re the most ordinary people I have ever meet.

18)Your contacts…E-mail….Links…

sebastian@illuminated-alley.org
http://www.illuminated-alley.org
AIM: tw13ve / ICQ: 43461369

And check out
http://www.rasterized.org

Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home